Uprising Community – The Success Story of Leon Trance Candelario by Charlene T. Dumaran




“We are not supposed to all be the same, feel the same, think the same, and believe the same.” The LGBT Community plays a big part in promoting gender equality because everybody deserves to be treated equally no matter what their gender or sex may be. LGBT stands for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender and now with the added Q which refers to those who are still in the process of questioning their sexuality, changing LGBT to LGBTQ.  They are the persons who work hard and show others that they belong in this society, trying to inspire others to reveal themselves so they can lead a better and more successful life. That is why Leon Trance Candelario did his best to finish his education and be a successful person.

Leon was born in Tangalan, Aklan on January 6, 1959. He is the son of Leon Ibabao Candelario and Remedios Tibulan Trance. His siblings are Fedelma, Lorelei, Silverio, Roy, Marilyn, and Melchor. He graduated his elementary in Tamalagon Elementary School (now Tamalagon Integrated School). He then studied and graduated his secondary level in Aklan College (now Aklan Catholic College). He took B.S. Pharmacy in the University of Sto. Tomas and took B.S. Nursing in St. Gabriel College.
In his younger years, he already knew that being gay is hard so he strived in his studies to finish his education. “I believe that being educated is already an edge for a gay person in this country. It is one way of being accepted by the community. I think that the LGBTQ community is actually a growing community maybe because a lot of us has come out and admitted to the world that we are different when it comes to sexual preferences. You cannot please everyone, though. They will always have something to say but it doesn’t bother me. I always thought that those people who “look down” to LGBTQ members are narrow-minded people.” Leon shared.

After college, he worked abroad – 8 years in Saudi Arabia and 6 years in Papua New Guinea. “I only went home for good when my mother got sick and I had to take care of her. That was also when I decided to open a drugstore. I was in my late 30’s when I started my business. I did not have any problems when I decided to open my drugstore because I already have experiences when I worked abroad that’s why it did not take me too long to decide to open it. I just looked for a good place to open my business.” He recounted. “My pharmacy was a tribute to my mother. She has grandchildren in London, England and they call her ‘granny’ – the equivalent of ‘lola’ here in the Philippines. That is why I named my business Granny’s Pharmacy,” he revealed.

“Like any other businesses, it is a ‘touch and go’ at first meaning, I made wrong moves and decisions but eventually, as it goes on, I became adept and knowledgeable to the everyday perks of my business,” he stated.

Granny’s Pharmacy is now on its 18th year and hopefully, it will have many more years of serving the community.

Just like in everything else, there are advantages and disadvantages in being a member of LGBTQ community. “I always thought that LGBT members are family-oriented. They always take care of their family. Gay people usually excel in what they do. However, most of us are also gullible, with the tendency to go crazy when in love and some gays have become laughing stocks of the community but life must go on and as the saying goes, ‘he who plants kindness gathers love’,” he said.



“I don’t believe in gender classifications. It may be LGBT or heterosexuals. All of us have the right to live in this world and be treated equally but being gay is a challenge. A challenge as to how you are going to live your life, if you will be productive, and if you will be an esteemed member of the community. My advice to young gays? Be educated! Education could be the best weapon for any gay who aspires to be accepted and respected by the people and the community,” he smiled as he left a message for the young members of the LGBTQ community.

(As published in JIS Busay SY 2017-2018 ish)

Comments

Popular Posts